Survey Crew Chief
Survey Crew Chief
Hennessey Engineers is seeking an experienced survey crew chief to work in our Southgate, MI office. This individual will manage a variety of job responsibilities in the field and office including construction staking, engineering design surveys, data collection, GPS, GIS mapping, mobile or terrestrial LiDAR collection, field investigation, field review, and coordination of multiple projects and clients. Candidates must have thorough knowledge of modern survey methods and equipment.
- Performs field work related to performing all types of surveys, including boundary surveys, construction layout, topographic mapping, planimetric mapping, corridor surveys, and high accuracy control networks.
- Accurately runs and adjusts survey instructions including GPS, robotic total stations, level and other electronic measuring devices with electronic data collecting capabilities.
- Performs mathematical calculations. Reads and understands survey map data and construction plans.
- Takes accurate and legible survey notes and performs simple note reduction and checking.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Physical Requirements
Employees will need to be able to walk, climb, and maneuver outdoors to conduct field surveys; lift and carry survey equipment; and operate company motor vehicle to travel to work sites. Outdoor work in inclement weather is necessary. Ability to read, write, and communicate clearly in person, in writing, and over the phone. Indoor work involves using a computer and other standard office equipment, sitting, standing, and light lifting. Visual acuity is necessary to perform responsibilities.
- A high school education or equivalent is required, including a background in math, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- 5+ years of experience operating survey instruments and collecting information in the field and performing field computations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles of survey measurement, staking, and marking.
- Ability to work on construction and project sites while complying with all applicable safety requirements.
- Must possess effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify sources of measurement errors.
- Must be able and willing to travel and work in in both urban and remote areas.
- Capable of operating as a one- or two-man crew.
- Work effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Perform responsibilities with attention to detail and deadlines.
"*" indicates required fields