Civil Engineer / Project Manager: MDOT
Civil Engineer/Project Manager – MDOT
Hennessey Engineers has an exciting opportunity for a creative and talented Senior Civil Engineer/Project Manager to focus on MDOT projects in our Southgate, MI office. The qualified applicant will demonstrate an established career in civil engineering, including project management experience. This position requires self-motivation, commitment to high-quality work, excellent communication skills, and ability to work with clients and the public. Leadership of staff on a project team is also desired.
- Lead the development of Construction Engineering and Inspection services for the Michigan DOT, Counties and local agencies including obtaining pre-qualifications, identifying opportunities, developing responses to Request for Proposals and staff recruitment.
- Identify region-specific industry trends for new transportation services for existing services such as road, bridge and traffic design, construction engineering and survey. Develop strategies for growing Hennessey Engineers’ presence in these service markets.
- Assist with development and implementation of Hennessey Engineers’ Transportation/Civil Field related Business Plans in Michigan.
- Facilitate meetings with MDOT and municipal leadership teams to discuss upcoming projects and provide introduction to Hennessey Engineers’ staff and services.
- Identify, pursue, and assist with teaming arrangements on MDOT pursuits. Provide input and coordinate with other consultants and Hennessey Engineers technical leads and marketing staff with preparation of proposals.
- Technical advisor on larger MDOT projects.
- Attend and represent Hennessey Engineers in professional organizations’ meetings and events to develop and maintain Hennessey Engineers client relationships. Lead efforts to expand Hennessey Engineers involvement into new professional organizations where appropriate.
- Leverage relationships to develop municipal and private projects (non-DOT) with new and existing clients.
- Assist with recruiting new staff for all Hennessey Engineers Transportation/Civil Field services.
- Supervise engineers and technicians performing inspection, administration, and documentation for infrastructure projects from pre-bid meeting to contract close-out.
- Provide technical leadership for complex or unique assignments.
- Provide guidance and training to inspection staff. Read and interpret complex contract documents and utilize the information to determine the most appropriate solutions to unforeseen project issues as they arise.
- Monitor activities of assigned staff for conformance with contractual requirements.
- Manage internal project services contract budgets.
- The Project Manager will set an example for the design team in areas including punctuality, professionalism, dedication, attention to detail and design excellence.
Minimum Physical Requirements
Exposed to occasional lifting and carrying. Will have normal office working conditions and be required to sit and use a computer. Capable of traveling to and maneuvering around project sites for attending client and project meetings and site observations. Able to use various technical equipment for communication and documentation. Visual acuity necessary to perform responsibilities.
Bachelor or Master of Science degree
- PE license in Michigan
- 10+ years relevant experience on MDOT or heavy highway and/or bridge construction experience. Prior experience as a project engineer or assistant project engineer performing oversight and administration for road and/or bridge construction projects, preferably in Michigan.
- Knowledge of transportation engineering from the design stage through final construction.
- Strong project management skills with the avility to manage projects ranging from local streets to complex urban freeways and structures.
- The ability to develop innovative solutions and sustain partnerships.
- The ability to resolve conflicts in a professional manner.
- Ability to stand and sit as needed on project sites. Ability to drive a motor vehicle to reach work sites; ability to maneuver project sites with uneven terrain. Ability to read printed materials and view a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate.
"*" indicates required fields